01 May 2008

A very bitter sweet day.

So yesterday was craaaaaaaaazy. It all began with having to get up earlier because I had my first physical in like 5 years. The sweet: I got to the Doctor's office and he said everything seemed good... Good blood pressure, good pulse, breathing ok etc... The bitter: Of course when I was being examined, a physicians assistant student was observing and that can be weird. The sweet: When I had to get undressed she almost fainted =) The bitter: The doctor did say, 'You have a couple of moles on your neck and face that you may want to have removed.' So I said ok we'll have to schedule it one day. So got finished with the doctor and got in the car and ate a banana because I wasn't allowed to eat earlier because I was having blood taken. THEN I decided to get coffee because I didn't have to be at work yet. The last time I read about how many calories a Starbucks coffee had, it scared me. So I decided to try a 'Skinny Mocha Latte'. It is like a diet coffee or something. Let me tell you this... it tasted like shit. Imagine if Lucky from Lucky Charms Cereal pooped into a cup of paint thinner, that is how this 4 dollar cup of coffee tasted. So I throw this coffee away and go to work to find that I have a bunch of patients to see... this is bittersweet because yeah it is nice to make money, but if you take a half day off, you would prefer some people rescheduled to other days rather than just shove your entire days schedule into a half a day. Midway through a mountain of patients, I find out that the person is in the parking lot to fix my windshield. This is also bitter sweet. Sweet: because I find it really fun to watch how the guy takes out the old windshield with suction cups and gently places the new one in... Bitter because I broke my windshield and I have to pay him to do it since I gamble and don't have comprehensive insurance on my car=( Also bitter because while I watch the 'repair glass window show' for 30 minutes, all the patients that are waiting for me get furious=) Then at the end of the day I am talking to Trey (one of the surgeons that works with me) and he says, "If you need to take those moles off we can do it right now." The sweet part of this is it will be convenient, and why have a primary care doctor take shit off your face when a surgeon can... the bitter part is, the next thing you know we are shooting my face full of anesthetic and he keeps saying, 'as long as we are here we should probably cut this off too.' So the next thing you know I am driving home looking like a mummy with a bunch of bloody gauze on my face... So you bloggers out there, make me laugh by telling me something bitter sweet that has happened in your day lately. (And yes I write this much because I know that my life is really interesting and you must be insane if you don't want to hear about it). Have a fun day!!!!!!!!!

7 comments:

marmaladecheeks said...

BTW, JMJ, A.K.A. FTB, OMG!! (i'm pretty hip, huh?)

We like hearing about all the little bitter and sweet parts of your day, because it makes us feel like you are not so far away... I bet after all of your mole removals you looked kinda like the schmürz!

Yesterday for me:

SWEET: I was off work, it was payday, i drove around in the vw with the top down, i ate mexican food, i went to the farmer's market and to the saucer with artee, i watched a cool movie with tom

BITTER: I had to run errands most of the day, i already spent most of my paycheck on bills, i got a farmer's tan/sunburn (i feel ya, jellybean), my taco salad was 10% chicken, 2% salad, and 44% guacamole and 44% sour cream- so I ate about 15% of it, the bar-bitch at the saucer didn't give us a hourhour size beer at 6:45 and then ignored us for our next beer until 7:00:30, i had to iron some pants

Overall, not as cool as your day, but I think all of us have a little bit of that up and down. And may we all have more ups!

marmaladecheeks said...

Also JMJ-- how is your (left?) knee?

jellybean said...

I hate bad coffee more than I hate no coffee. And I hate trying to make a “healthier” choice only to have it taste like the inside of a cow’s bowel. I'n sorry you scared the PA student so much -- but you should have seen what happened the last time Dr. Sack made me get undressed...

Today is kind of bittersweet for me... Sweet because I'm almost totally removed from the HR stuff at work. Bitter for the same reason. It's a strange new world and I don't know everything going on.

Alex said...

Bitter: having to work from 1 to 4 a.m. because my esteemed colleagues fell down on the job.

Sweet: four more weeks and there's no more job. Summer vacation begins in...3...2...1...

When I had a skin cancer screening/test thingie ("exam," I guess, if we're being technical) a few years ago, the doctor called in a nurse and a trainee. All three female, all cute. It was the most inappropriately exciting moment of my sheltered life when they asked me to remove my clothes and touch myself.

Well, they didn't ask me that last part but I added a few twists and I have to say my routine was a hit.

Sarah Cate said...

I am having some sort of allergy attack/mucus-fest in my head (I keep asking my colleagues if they're SURE they don't have a yorkshire terrier or some other allergen-laden pet under their desk) so my bittersweets are related to that.

Bitter: I can't wear mascara so I feel naked at work. Plus there's a faucet turned on in my head.

Sweet: I could be working at pfizer with my arm cut off or a fork stuck in my eye and it would still be better than my best day at CBRE.

JMJ - Hope the moles and swole up knee are both getting better by the minute.

The Boss said...

Since one of the employees at my office scammed my DEA number and got fired, we have struggled to find someone to work for us. We finally hired someone ("the hispanic") that has some ethnicity so I dont feel so left out when the manager makes racist remarks. She's been really helpful in translating (like Carrie's Vivian) because sometimes patients will bring in their six year old to translate. Now we find out that her boyfriend of two months is a fraud (has no money, no job and is an illegal) and she is moving back to California, may be pregnant, in a car rented by her mom who yelled at her for moving to Memphis in the first place. Now we have to hire the 3rd employee since the DEA scam. Keep your fingers crossed for some ethnicity. This may be bittersweet on multiple levels.

jellybean said...

Can you place an ad that says "bilingual preferred" and "no fraud or bad boyfriends"?